The cut resistant leather gloves that are used across many different industries are the subject of many myths and stories that have rarely been proven by those who wear them o a regular basis. What we can say with certainty is that wearing cut-resistant can protect the hands of a worker in their industrial environment. ISHN Magazine reports the latest statistics report 70 percent of industrial hand injuries came when the individual was not wearing gloves and the other 30 percent wore the wrong gloves for their work.
A cut test is not reliable in the workplace
One of the areas of cut resistant leather gloves that tends to make individuals annoyed is when they try a makeshift cut test in the workplace and do not see positive results. The main issue with these cut tests is that they are created using knives, scissors, and other sharp objects. The scientific approach taken when cut resistant gloves are developed is not based on simply trying to cut through a glove in a simple way. Many of these cut tests take place when a blade is slowly passed over the fabric until a cut is made in the fabric using different loads.
Does washing reduce cut resistance?
This is one of the most important misconceptions in the entire industry and is often the cause of workers refusing to wash their fabric and leather gloves. The first thing to remember is that most cut resistance testing takes place on gloves that are freshly manufactured and stretched for the perfect fit. When a glove is worn and washed it goes through a series of changes known as relaxation that usually makes the glove denser and has a higher level of resistance to damage.
Is leather really cut-resistant?
The leather material used by the majority of workers looking for the most cut resistance in their gloves is often referred to as being cut-proof. However, the hide of an animal is used in the production of these gloves and this can be cut with ease throughout the life of an animal. When fashioned into a pair of gloves there is not route towards making them completely resistant to cuts and damage.
Do I need as high a cut level as possible?
The common misconception is that most workers need the highest level of cut resistance possible throughout their working days. However, the general rule of thumb is that a pair of leather gloves with the highest possible cut resistance will not be as easy to use for those who need to work with delicate objects as a pair of gloves designed specifically for this use.
There are many reasons why cut resistant leather gloves are a positive for use in many industrial sectors and environments but these should be chosen for their resistance levels. The most important thing to remember is that no pair of gloves is completely cut-proof and all will eventually give way to the force of a blade. Choosing the right pair of gloves for the environment a worker is involved in is the most important factor in adding this level of protection to a working day.